Sunday, July 1, 2007

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

Recommended by: Sarah

I would like to add a recommendation: The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. It is a memoir written by a gossip columnist at The New York Post: she was haunted by the irony of outing the secrets of celebs when her own past was vaulted in secrecy. The book begins with her riding along in a taxi and watching a homeless woman root through the trash, when she realizes it is her mother. When she asks her mother later what she should tell people about her life, her mother looks at her with not a blink and says, "the truth." The truth of this woman Jeannette's life is incredible in its terrible poverty and neglect coupled with spirited genius and love in a family that is never boring. I couldn't get over it; and, it's funny.

It's available online at Amazon.ca, Indigo.ca, and Amazon.com.

2 comments:

Nikki Stafford said...

I really want to read this book! My doula told me about it a few months ago and she LOVED it and raved about it, and then I saw the author on The Colbert Report (and she held her own against him) and it looks great. :)

Anonymous said...

I finished reading this book about twenty minutes ago. It is a marvelous read, a simple story that's told from an honest and joyful perspective.
Though it's a true story, I can't help but think of the obvious symoblism that's used, purposely or not, it's used well.
READ it and ENJOY!